Girls do not like football! Is this a misconception? Personally, I am indifferent to football, but I had to deal with it since I was a baby!
Whether it is American, French France, Moroccan, or from elsewhere, it is in an intense football environment that I grew up. With a father and two younger brothers crazy about football, screaming every game night and especially when their buddies were around. And as “happiness” never comes alone, my two sons are big football fans too!
With two girls and one boy with extra female hormones, 196 flavors is getting interested in football this week. We are headed to Mike’s country for Superbowl Sunday!
The Superbowl was born, like me, in 1967. This is the final game of the National Football League. The Superbowl designate the champion for the previous year.
This is one of the holiest days in the American calendar. More than just the football final, it is also the 30 most expensive seconds for TV commercials. This year, the cost of these 30 seconds will be about $4 million for advertisers. Approximately 250,000 tweets per minute. The most watched sporting event of the year… In short, an event you simply cannot miss if you are a true American!
And important information for us, as let’s be honest, food is what we are all interested about here: the Superbowl is the second event of the year when people eat the most after Thanksgiving !
And since we’re talking about it, I chose to prepare what is probably one of the greatest classics of the Superbowl: Buffalo wings.
According to the most recent published statistics, Americans consume that day no less than 1.23 billion chicken wings. That is a lot of birds and with such numbers, I had to choose this recipe!
Buffalo is an American city located in western New York State. The creation of Buffalo wings was set to October 30, 1964.
In 1939, Theresa and Frank Bellissimo bought a restaurant bar at the end of Main Street in Buffalo, on the banks of the Buffalo River that they called the Anchor Bar.
In 1964, very late on a Friday night, Teressa Bellissimo had to feed her son Dominic and his Catholic friends who did not eat red meat on Fridays.
The fridge in the restaurant was full of chicken wings following a delivery error. So she came up with the idea of frying the wings. After frying them, she dipped them in a butter and spicy chili sauce and served them with what she found lying around in her kitchen: celery, carrots and blue cheese.
On 29 July 1977, former mayor of Buffalo, Stan Makowski, declared that the date of July 29 as National Chicken Wing Day. He named the Bellissimo family as the inventors.
While Ms. Bellissimo was famous for her chicken wings, she was also much admired for dishes such as calamari marinara and Milanese veal cutlets. According to her son Dominic, who now manages the Anchor Bar, her mother was a “pure genius”.
Teressa Bellissimo, who died in November 1984, won international culinary respect and fame for her hometown.
It was a brilliant idea to prepare the recipe of this genius. Just plain simple and delicious!
- 36 chicken wings , cut into 2
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cup flour
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons hot Louisiana sauce (Frank is the brand used in Buffalo)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 7 oz. blue cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the vegetable oil and flour.
- Marinate 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Put the flour in a large plastic bag.
- Then put the wings in the bag and shake the bag for 1 minute so that the wings are well coated with flour. Shake off the excess flour.
- Deep fry the wings and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a large pot and simmer on low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the wings in the pan and coat well with the sauce.
- Finally, mix all sauce ingredients for the blue cheese sauce and beat with a whisk a few minutes.
- Serve with celery and carrot sticks.