Maaqouda, which can be translated to “bound” or “thick”, is a potato fritter which is often prepared plain, but can also be stuffed with tuna, ground meat or even cheese.
The recipe for this delicious fritter is quite simple. The greatest difficulty lies in the fact that the preparation has to be perfect to prevent it from crumbling during frying. For this, you must follow the following rules:
– Cool the potato purée
– The potato purée should also be somewhat dry. For that, you can dry the potatoes in the pan after draining and mashing them, or you can bake them instead of boiling them. Also, it is better to mash them with a fork rather than with a blender
– Wait until the oil is very hot (350 F) before starting to fry
As a shortcut, it is also possible to use instant mashed potatoes.
Frying is the essence of street food, and we know what our frying on 196 flavors! Indeed, we have already featured dozens of fritter recipes such as Indian palak pakoras, Nigerian akaras, Syrian leek fritters, Mauritian bhajas or Caribbean salt cod fritters.
We tasted our maaqoudas as an appetizer last Friday night, and you could say they were gone after 5 minutes! Personally, I savored with freshly squeezed lemon juice, and I highly recommend you do the same!
- 2 lb potatoes
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Flour (for coating)
- Oil for frying
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes with their skin for at least 30 minutes or until tender.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them. Add the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, cumin, turmeric, parsley, beaten eggs, salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients. If the mixture is too firm, add some breadcrumbs.
- Shape 2-inch diameter patties.
- In a large saucepan, heat enough oil for deep frying to 350 F
- Drench maaqouda in flour to cover both sides. Remove excess flour and deep fry on one side, then the other. Drain on paper towels and serve with freshly squeezed lemon.